July 22, 2010

From the Persian (BTP #12)

 Over at http://bigtentpoetry.org  this week's prompt was to take a favorite poem and use it to help write one of our own.  The one I chose is just 4 simple lines, but when I first read them at about age 17, I felt something shift inside me.  For my piece, I took the basic message of my favorite and expanded upon it.

If some great hollow emptiness resides
Within a chasm filled with crass desires,

It’s not a hunger for the shallow most,
But in leaving go of gentle, simple gifts.


**********************************
Here is the link to the original...if you haven't already guessed by my words, the title, or the photo...
http://thespirittrail.blogspot.com/2008/02/if-of-thy-mortal-goods-thou-art-bereft.html 

4 comments:

  1. And hyacinths do feed the soul, don't they, Cynthia? I think you must have got a water hyacinth there but I'll take it at a pinch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia, This is lush-your interpretation is profound, the flower gorgeous. Thanks for the link to the original. Your attraction for the poem is well placed. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous, humble, and profound.

    ReplyDelete