September 03, 2010

Day After Day (BTP)



This week's prompt idea at Big Tent Poetry, was to listen for interesting words or phrases to use in a poem.

Instead, I thought of those same words, sounds, and questions I hear every day, and find myself wishing for a respite from the endless clamor.


G' mornin'…
Have you seen my phone?
...in today’s headline news…
Are you pouring more coffee?
...and now for sports…
I’m out of shaving cream.
Have any cash on you?

Despite the blaring television,
I hope for silence. 

The truck broke down, order's late.
Why are you out of the ONE thing I need!?!
Would you be interested in donating….?
Do you carry...?
I'll take the deposit.
What do you have for energy?
I need tomorrow off.

Between each endless numbing decision,
I listen for silence.

Ready to order?
You've got to see the new shoes I bought!
More tea?
This is NOT on my diet...
I just don't know why she acts that way.
There's this new exercise class...
Save room for dessert?

Amid the clatter of dishware and conversation,
I long for silence.

Welcome to...
Want a sales flyer?
Did you find everything you needed?
Would you like to donate your change to...?
Is that debit or credit?
Paper or plastic?
Can we take this out to the car for you?

Through the endless looping Musak,
I beg for silence.

...today, the stock market lost…
What’s for dinner?
I don’t see my shaving cream.
Your mom left a message, you better call her.
Where have you been, I've been calling...
...we’ll return in a minute, after this important message…
Did you make the coffee?

In midnight's final cocoon of silence,
I pray for strength.

19 comments:

  1. That's one scenario I didn't miss when the young'uns left home!

    A Fantastic, heartfelt poem. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellently portrayed poem, Cynthia. I love that you use phrases we all hear and the specific situations. Ah yes, I would like silence too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellently mixed, and crafted work! Awesome post! =)

    -Weasel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia I love how you interjected the silence phrase in this piece. I sometimes pray for silence myself.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live alone and have for several years, but I remember those days, those words, and your words brought back vivid images. Really like what you did with the prompt. It works really well,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cynthia, I like this poem very much. It is realism, life as it is. It is my favorite kind of poetry. Thank you for writing YOUR life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the way you combined the different strands of conversation with the ever present tv or radio.Clever and enjoyable poem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like what you did here, Cynthia. I was struck by how demanding, self-centred and negative people are. Very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful look at today and tomorrow! Well crafted!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man, I didn't realize how many repeated phrases we hear throughout the day! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This worked indeed! I liked the refrains and how they changed. I love how you wove in the every day messages of cacophony!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You captured so many everyday phrases, and interwove your desire for silence, and then turned it at the end from the silence you had to strength. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The phrases maybe of the everyday variety overheard as they are, but the poem's music is like that of a fugue. Wonderful response to the prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh God, I could relate to this Cynthia. Thanks for bringing this so close to me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting weaving of commerce and home life. Shows how crazy life is!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So darn familiar! "What's for dinner" is a constant..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just another day in the life of .....! Well done, Cynthia. Hope you've found a quiet corner!

    ReplyDelete